Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Windows 7 - PC Resumes Automatically When Hibernated (Solution)

I use my PC many times a day. So, I usually hibernate it when there is no work to be done. Yesterday, I came across this strange problem. My PC got automatically resumed after I hibernated it. I tried to hibernate it again but once again the same thing happened. This left me stranded so I had to shutdown my computer.

Later, I searched the problem on the web and found a solution for it on a Windows Forum.
  1. This happens usually due to incompatible hardware driver which is unlikely in most cases. So, always Update Your Drivers.

  2. Check the setting of your Keyboard, Mouse or some other External Devices :

    Click on Start-> Type in devmgmt.msc-> In the Device manager Window double click on “Mouse". In the Properties Window Click on “Power Management”,  Uncheck the option : “Allow this device to wake the computer”. Click OK.

  3. Prevent Programs from waking your computer :

    Change the Power Plan Settings and on the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleepexpand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

    The 3rd step worked in my case. I hope, it helps.