Friday, June 8, 2012

Blue Screen : Dell XPS L502X Solution

Blue Screen of Death
My laptop is Dell XPS L502x and I was having this Blue Screen (BSOD) problem some days back showing some MEMORY_MANAGEMENT problem. I did a memory check with Windows 7 but it showed everything was fine. Thus, after some research I found that the problem would occur if any of the Hardware or Software(Drivers or Anti-Virus or Bios) was not working properly. Thus, after knowing this I did a hardware check with Dell Support Center but it too didn't show any problem with the hardware.

Then through the Dell Drivers website I downloaded the latest update to the BIOS (i.e. L502XA10) and to my surprise I haven't seen the blue screen for quite a while.

The problem is also sometimes due to Intel Wireless Driver. So, please update your wireless driver from http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.

After the blue screen crash windows makes a copy of the dump file in C:\Windows\Minidump. So, in order to read such dump files to extract information from it you need to download the Windows Debugger tool from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463009.aspx

This tool helps to know your problem and solve your problem.
Hope this helps.